Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Phoneless - Day 5

The good news is Samsung has received my phone and I am now in possession of a Repair Self Tracking number. I also have an estimated repair date! The bad news is that date is Saturday, which means I won't get my phone back until sometime next week. The novelty of missing my phone has worn off, and I am less impressed with the nuances of life without a constant connection to everything. To be blunt: it's starting to stink.

I think I have covered the smelly portions, so I'll give this experience one positive review. Although I am disconnected from the wireless world, I feel more connected with my immediate surroundings. I might not have any idea what @NathanFillion is up to all the time, but I sure noticed that guy brushing his teeth in the bathroom at work. Mind you I immediately returned to my workstation and posted my observance on Facebook. Waiting for my PC to start up in the morning typically grants me time enough to watch a couple YouTube videos on my phone. Without this convenience I have been catching up on "Cyber War: The Next Threat to National Security and What to Do About It" by Richard A. Clarke. While filling up with gas tonight instead of flicking through new items in TweetDeck I watched yet another feeble minded driver fail to yield to a pursuing emergency vehicle.

Unfortunately all of these "alternate universe"-style experiences (those I would not have had were I able to go back in time and stop myself from breaking my phone) have taught me that it's probably better that I not pay very close attention to my proximal environment - not any more than is necessary to be safe, anyway. Bathroom brusher, gross. Reality of cyber warfare, unnerving. Unyielding licensed vehicle operators, frustrating. Each of which is worthy of a separate post on its own.

I'd rather not see the gag-inducing, horror film inspiring downright retardation that thrives all around me. All my Facebook friends, Tweeps, and members of my Google+ circles are on the same level of genius: "homo sapien." Ultimately, however, I am forced to deal with the knuckle-draggers who actually live in my vicinity. Oh, the humanity.

No comments: