Saturday, December 3, 2011

Phoneless - Day 1

Last night I used Samsung's Mini Kies software to update my phone to the latest firmware available. It subsequently stopped working entirely. So I packed up my little friend and sent it back to Samsung today to see if they can do anything to help. I'm thinking about keeping a brief record of how my days change because of the loss of my phone. This is day one.

Usually, I get up to my phone's alarm. This morning, I woke up to the boys playing drums in their room. It was about the same time I usually wake up, so no big deal. I'm used to checking my Twitter and Facebook first thing, which had to wait until I booted up my PC. Still not that bad. Danny (my brother-in-law) came by around noon to let me borrow his 10+ year-old Samsung something-something; so I will at least have an alarm. In fact, so far the only thing that I can think of that is going to change is not being able to take video or pictures of the kids when they do random fun things without having to go grab the point-and-shoot. But that hasn't even come up yet, so I'm not hurting terribly yet.

A couple of times today I reached for my pocket to play a game or check to see if I had any new e-mails only to find a hole in my heart. I miss being able to check my calendar to see my agenda or hear that friendly "Tweeter" noise whenever a load of new tweets or Facebook posts has come in. But other than that I had more time to pay attention to what my kids were doing, actually listen to my wife, remember I had a dog, and navigate in my car the old fashioned way: with my eyes.

Tonight I sat down to review my lesson plans for teaching the Deacons tomorrow. This is where I hit my first major roadblock. I'm used to pulling up a few windows on my PC (LDS.org for the Priesthood manual and scriptures, and Google Docs for my lesson plans), typing an outline, and then pulling up the Docs app on my phone for use during class on Sunday. It took me a while to remember I had a physical copy of the Priesthood manual and another few minutes to grab the stack of 3x5 notecards I bought back when I attended Weber state for lesson notes. These archaic tools combined, I was ready to do things "old school." We'll see how things turn out at lesson time tomorrow.

Well, Samsung, the ball is in your court. Please fix my phone so I can go back to Tweeting and capturing HD home movies. I'd rather not have to resort to, oh say, buying a replacement from HTC or LG. Day 2 tomorrow.

1 comment:

Russell said...

Will he survive? Stay tuned!